The Incident Command System, or ICS, is a scalable management model for managing both emergencies and planned events. Developed in the late 1960s by the US Forestry Department, ICS has since been acclaimed as “best practice” in the management of emergencies.
Here in Trinidad and Tobago, the Office for Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) has indicated its choice of ICS as the preferred model for the management of emergencies in Trinidad and Tobago. On April 29th 2010, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago approved policy documents (via a Cabinet Note) in respect of a new Comprehensive Disaster Management Strategy for Trinidad & Tobago.
ICS is the foundation that local response agencies need to have to ensure that the objectives of our National Response Framework are fulfilled. Click here to download the National Response Framework.
What this means is that all agencies that have a responsibility to respond in an emergency situation must now be able to do so in an ICS-structured environment. This requirement holds true for both state and non-state agencies as they will all have to work together in responding to emergencies. All organizations that have emergency response responsibilities should therefore immediately begin the process of ensuring that their response personnel are trained in the use of ICS.
All-Hazards Position Specific Courses
- E/L 950: All-Hazards Position Specific Incident Commander
- E/L 952: All-Hazards Position Specific Public Information Officer
- E/L 954: All-Hazards Position Specific Safety Officer
- E/L 956: All-Hazards Position Specific Liaison Officer
- E/L 958: All-Hazards Position Specific Operations Section Chief
- E/L 960: All-Hazards Position Specific Division/Group Supervisor
- E/L 962: All-Hazards Position Specific Planning Section Chief
- E/L 964: All-Hazards Position Specific Situation Unit Leader
- E/L 965: All-Hazards Position Specific Resources Unit Leader
- E/L 967: All-Hazards Position Specific Logistics Section Chief
- E/L 969: All-Hazards Position Specific Communications Unit Leader
- E/L 970: All-Hazards Position Specific Supply Unit Leader
- E/L 971: All-Hazards Position Specific Facilities Unit Leader
- E/L 973: All-Hazards Position Specific Finance/Admin. Section Chief
- E/L 975: All-Hazards Position Specific Finance/Admin. Unit Leader Course
- E/L 984: Task Force/Strike Team Leader
ICS and NIMS Courses
- ICS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System
- ICS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- ICS-300: Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents
- ICS-400: Advanced ICS for Command and General Staff
- IS-701: NIMS Multiagency Coordination System (MACS)
- IS-702: NIMS Publication Information Systems
- IS-703: NIMS Resource Management
- G-191: Incident Command System/ Emergency Operations Center Interface
- G-402 Incident Command System (ICS) Overview for Executives/Senior Officials
- G-775: Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Management and Operations